Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Master of the Macabre" WILLIAM CASTLE speaks from the grave



A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM THE �MASTER OF THE MACABRE� WILLIAM CASTLE

Don�t think that a little thing like being dead would preclude me from attending �The Return of William Castle� retrospective at the Film Forum in New York City beginning Friday, August 27th (http://www.filmforum.org/films/castle.html)

I am very much present. And I do so remember how I loved scaring the living daylights out of all of you��But I�m not done yet. Not by a long shot.

I am sure you are dying to know what to expect from me now that I�m back with FROM THE GRAVE!, a new tale of terror and my first novel, that will scare a corpse out of his own grave. So, everyone, if you get a whiff of my beloved Don Diego #5 cigars during �The Return of William Castle� retrospective, don�t be alarmed, know I�m there with a grin that stretches from here to eternity. And for the faint of heart, beware we might meet in the �Coward�s Corner.�

WHO: My daughter Terry Castle will be on hand Friday night to introduce the opening double bill of �The Return of William Castle� retrospective. The dear child had a most unusual childhood and has endured the legacy of a father who is indeed larger than life. I wonder what she will say about me? Does she believe I�m back FROM THE GRAVE?

WHY: I never met a gimmick I didn�t like. Many consider me to be the godfather of the modern horror movie genre and and �experiential films.� And to think I died in 1977 thinking I was unsuccessful.

Background: I made over forty B movies following a formula for box office success: low-budget chillers geared to the burgeoning Youth-sploitation market including The Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts, Macabre, Strait-Jacket (the latter scripted by Psycho's Robert Bloch), and Homicidal � which TIME magazine liked better than Psycho. They called me a master of ballyhoo who shamelessly promoted his pictures with highly effective gimmicks, some of which will be lovingly re-created for the Film Forum�s 15 film retrospective, �The Return of William Castle� running August 27 through September 6 in NYC.

To Read the latest messages from, or leave a message for, William Castle:

http://www.williamcastle.com
Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment